Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dear Snoopy

Dear Snoopy,

I am sorry this is so late in coming, for some reason I was unable to process the events at the time, but that is another story, one I will write about later.

I do not know if all dogs go to heaven, I don't know where to send this letter.  What I do know is I miss you so much.  I was touched in so many ways with the relationship we had.  I love you Snoopy, I am so sorry you had to go.  I felt helpless when that sheriffs car started backing up, you did not know that it was dangerous as you ran towards the wheel.  It broke my heart to see you run into the car, the sound of your last whine of fear and pain.  I am not sure if you noticed the young boy standing there screaming "Snoopy, NO" watching as his true friend's life was snuffed out.

The sheriff stayed to help bury you in the back yard of our house, and somehow along the way I began to feel the shame and guilt of not being able to contain you. 

You are a dog, your dharma is to run, to play and to be a wonderful companion.  I am sorry that I let you down Snoopy, but a child is not always capable of sensing danger any more than a dog.  I feel as if you would forgive me if you could, so I have decided to forgive myself.  I am crying for Snoopy, I am sorry it took  me so long to be able to cry, but I am happy that I have found the strength. 

I have a new dog in  my life now Snoopy, her name is Xella.  I hope to fall in love with her like I was with you.  I will never forget you Snoopy, having you all those years ago is still touching me today. 

Fare well Snoopy, I miss you.


No comments: